A suburb, a creek and a major arterial road share the name “Moggill”, derived from “magil”, meaning water dragon in two local Aboriginal languages.
Follow the Magil's Tail here.
The Moggill United Soccer Club was formed in 1974. Games were originally played on the site currently occupied by the "Dog Park" in Birkin Rd. Night games were played under lights powered by a portable generator. The club founder was Robbie Roosen and the inaugral Under 7 team became Brisbane Champions.
The Bellbowrie Sports and Recreation Association was formed in the early 80's with Soccer coming under their umbrella. We were seperately incorporated as the Moggill United Soccer Club in April 1999.
MFC caters to boys and girls from 4-54 with Squirts, Junior mixed, Divisional Age, Youth, Senior Men, Open Women and Over 35.
Season 2004 marked the 30th anniversary of the Moggill United Soccer Club.
The Club changed its name to the Moggill Football Club (or Moggill FC) in 2006.
Moggill FC Inc is an incorporated non-profit organisation under the Qld Associations Incorporation Act 1981
Junior player numbers over recent years shows steady growth :
Year 1999 : 170
Year 2000 : 220
Year 2001 : 260
Year 2002 : 310
Year 2003 : 360
Year 2004 : 380
Year 2005 : 420
Year 2006 : 450
Year 2007 : 490
Year 2008 : 530
Year 2009 : 560
Flashback to 1982 – extracts from Presidents Report
· The Club fielded 15 teams – 13 junior boys, 1 junior girls, 1 seniors
· The Club won the Brisbane North & Districts Junior Soccer Association shield as champion club for 1982
· The senior team played in Division 5 and made the final 4 (out of 12)
· “Our main field is in a reasonable, yet by no means brilliant condition. Our 3 small fields were in a woeful state”
· “Our 50 cents per player match fee has become an all important means of producing necessary income”
· “Hopefully the Bellbowrie Sports and Recreation Association will commence construction of their clubhouse at the southern end of the main field in February 1983
Thanks to Russell Loos and Steve Thomas for this information. If you have any submissions please forward them to the Web Apprentice.